Samstag, 23. Januar 2021

The Educative Value of Teasing:

Peter Gray:

"My family members and closest friends, especially my wife, are well aware of my many flaws and don’t hesitate to tease me about them. They know, for example, that I can’t carry a tune, am often absent-minded, am uncomfortable at parties, am ignorant of much of popular culture, get too serious when playing games that should be just for fun (an obvious flaw in someone who writes about the non-competitive nature of play), and am far more frugal than necessity demands. By teasing me about these things they show me that these elements of my character are out in the open; I don’t have to try to hide them. The people I care most about already know these things about me, find them amusing, and accept me despite the flaws. To know someone well is to know their weaknesses as well as strengths, and teasing can be a playful way of expressing that knowledge and thereby reinforcing the friendship. The flaws, to the real friend, can even be endearing, as long as they’re not too egregious."

[Zeig dich ruhig, wie du bist. Wir wissen ja bereits, wie du bist.]

"When my friends and loved ones tease me about my flaws, they are not only expressing acceptance of those flaws, but are also reminding me of them. In doing so, they are keeping me humble."

[Sei dir deiner Grenzen bewusst.]

"Teasing can be a sign of affection, a constructive form of criticism, or a cruel put-down."

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen