Montag, 8. Oktober 2018

'We Can Read Without Learning at All'

Patrick Kurp:

>The obvious risk involved in adhering strictly to autodidacticism is waywardness. We require the friction of other minds to buff away self-generated roughness. Few of us can polish ourselves. We are likelier to grow cranky and conspiracy-minded, mistaking brainstorms for insight while rediscovering what the rest of the world already knows. Had I read only the books assigned in class, I would today be only nominally literate. Had I read only the books that confirmed the thoughts I already possessed, I would remain marginally illiterate. Osborne writes:

“For both Cobbett and myself, unscheduled reading made the child father to the man. It led to his career in journalism and to mine in academe. It was self-education rather than twelve years in a public school which allowed me to complete the college work that prepared me for graduate school. The mature Cobbett boasted that ‘books and literature have been my delight.’ His intensive personal reading helped to develop that direct, vigorous style of writing which still holds a reader’s attention. Knowledge imparted in classrooms -- what Ben Jonson called ‘schoolcraft’ -- would have smoothed our way early in life but might have cramped our individuality and led us along other paths.”

Fr. Schall reminds us of the thrills and risks of self-education: "We can read without learning at all. We can have read only one book, the Bible or Shakespeare, but read it well. We can read many things, none of which move our souls to attend to what is." <

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen