Dienstag, 14. April 2020

Without Boredom / Solitude:


"It really is the first time in human history that you can get rid of every moment of boredom or, I would say, even solitude, right, time alone with your own thoughts. I mean this was completely unavoidable throughout human history, just throughout your day you're just going to have regular moments where it was you alone with your own thoughts. I mean so it's just hardwired into the human experience and it's really the last what seven years that we've said: 'Okay let's put billions of dollars and the smartest minds at work at getting a sort of worldwide high-speed wireless Internet network and these devices in our pockets that can tap into it at any moment and all these algorithms behind it that can get us the perfect bit of distraction at any moment that we need it.' And so we can for the first time in human history actually banish all boredom and all solitude from our lives. So it's like a wild experiment, a radical experiment, but I think the results are: it's not going well ..."

-----

"I look at certain things like social media platforms and to me it's junk food."

-----

Rich Roll:

"I heard you say that if you were running Google that you would just make sure that anyone who's programming is completely there: You cannot contact these people. ... Leave them alone. Let them do what they do. But if you're bugging them every five minutes then you're not getting the value out of them that you could be getting."

------

Newport:

I have an article in the in the latest Chronicle of Higher Education where I'm basically making this claim about professors and I say 'This is crazy!' [It is titled: 'Is email making professors stupid?'] ... The whole point of this profession is to sort of think deeply and teach really well and all we do is email."

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen