Samstag, 19. September 2026

Discovering Agency Later:

"A person may spend the first decades of life being competent, responsible, even successful, while still living largely inside structures defined by other people: parents, school, career expectations, relationships, social norms. They may become very good at fulfilling roles without ever fully asking, “What do I actually want to do, and what happens if I simply act on my own judgment?”

Then something changes. Sometimes it is a breakup, a career shift, becoming financially independent, moving somewhere new, raising children, mastering a difficult skill, or simply reaching an age where external approval loses some of its force. The person begins making consequential decisions and notices: I can choose. I can act. I can tolerate the consequences. I can change direction if necessary. That realization can be surprisingly exhilarating.

There is often a compounding effect. Agency tends to generate more agency. You make one difficult decision successfully, and your internal model of yourself changes slightly. Then you attempt something larger. You become less frightened of mistakes because you have evidence that mistakes are survivable. Eventually the important discovery is not merely “I can get what I want,” but “I can handle things even when I don't get what I want.

This can also explain why some people seem to develop rapidly in their thirties, forties, or even much later. Their intelligence or basic capacities may not have suddenly changed. What changes is the relationship they have with their own capacities. They stop treating themselves primarily as someone who must adapt to circumstances and increasingly see themselves as someone who can create circumstances.

There can be a slightly intoxicating phase as well. Once someone discovers this, they may suddenly want to change everything: career, relationships, habits, social life, projects. After years of underusing one's autonomy, the discovery of it can feel almost like finding an unused engine. That can be enormously productive, though mature agency eventually also means knowing when not to act.

And there is an interesting advantage to discovering agency later. Someone who has already experienced dependence, hesitation, failure, constraint, and uncertainty may develop a more grounded form of agency than someone who has always assumed that the world will yield to them. Mature agency contains realism: I have considerable influence over my life, but I do not control everything.

That is probably the deepest version of it: not omnipotence, not constant confidence, but a durable sense of “I can participate actively in shaping my life.” Once that becomes part of someone's identity, it can alter almost everything else."

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen